As we enter primary holiday season, travel plans increase for many people as they see family or friends. There are a few things you don’t want to bring back with you from any holiday travels you take part in, and one of these is the presence of bed bugs – which are sometimes known for their ability to join humans on their travels in secretive ways.
At Logan Extermination, we assist clients around Logan and nearby areas with all their pest control, lawn care and related needs, and bed bugs are a common enemy that we help our clients fight. As we regularly tell clients, the best form of bed bug control is simply never allowing them to infest any part of your home – with this in mind, here are some basic tips for holiday travel to ensure you don’t bring any of these frustrating pests back with you.
As you’re preparing for your trip, there are a few things you can do to reduce the chances of bringing bed bugs back with you:
- Before packing, thoroughly inspect any luggage or bags that have been stored in areas where bed bugs may be present (such as storage rooms or basements).
- When possible, pack items in sealed plastic bags to avoid bed bugs from hitching a ride.
- Consider investing in a bed bug travel spray to treat your luggage before and after your trip.
During the Trip
While on your holiday travels, it’s important to remain vigilant and continue taking precautions:
- Avoid placing any belongings directly on hotel or rental property beds, as these are common areas for bed bugs to hide.
- Keep your luggage off the ground and elevated, either on a luggage rack or shelf.
- Conduct a quick inspection of your hotel room for any signs of bed bugs before unpacking. Look for dark spots (bed bug feces), shed skins, or live bugs.
After the Trip
Once you return from your travels, it’s important to take some additional steps to ensure you haven’t brought any bed bugs back with you:
- Immediately unpack your luggage outside and thoroughly inspect all items for any signs of bed bugs.
- Wash all clothing, bedding, and other fabric items in hot water to kill any potential bed bugs.
- Inspect your luggage and vacuum it thoroughly before storing it away.
By following these simple steps, you can greatly reduce the chances of bringing bed bugs back from your holiday travels. However, if you do suspect a potential bed bug infestation, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at Logan Extermination for professional assistance. Our experienced team will work quickly and effectively to rid your home of these unwanted pests so you can enjoy the holiday season without worry. Happy travels!